Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Fitted Sheet Dilema

Okay, there's only one person in my life who can fold a fitted sheet perfectly...who you might ask? My Mother? NO. My Grandma? No way! No, you'll never guess. It's my father-in-law. The man is a sheet folding genius!

I've asked him to show me how and he patiently tried to teach me, but that was years ago and I think I just didn't want to learn back then. I guess I figured I was going to put it on the bed anyway and besides I had plenty of space to store sheets back then. Fast forward three kids later- there's so little room for sheets I've had to store my daughter's sheets in their own room!

In my pursuit for simplicity I've researched the art of tackling the linen closet with the help of many organization gurus like Martha -I -hate- her- Face -Stewart and all those other people who make it look so easy, that is if you have the space and the money to buy nifty organizing paraphernalia. Well I don't really have either right now. Remember, I live in a house that was built in 1860 and they didn't need closets back then. I guess they had wardrobes, I don't know. So you want to see where I keep my sheets?

and you know where I keep that basket? In the hallway, by the Attic door! 

I know, I know that floor is so dirty! I'll get to it someday. I also have the Girls sheets in their bedroom closet on a shelf. Please don't look a the lack of moulding around the closet door. We'll get to that someday soon too.

Anyway, the point of this long-winded post is to tell you as I was browsing my favorite Blogs with a cup of tea and a smile on my face,  I found this wonderful tutorial on Living with Lindsay demonstrating the proper way to fold a fitted sheet- just like Papa Izzo would! I think that being able to fold a sheet properly would save a lot of space in my linen basket, so I'm going to try it today and see how it goes.

 





5 comments:

  1. This is what they taught those of us who cleaned the hotel at YWAM... I do it now by habit!
    We also would fold the flat sheet around the fitteds and pillowcases so they were all together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew this one! Being able to fold fitted sheets is a talent I've always been rather proud of. Of course, my absurdly long arms do help make this easier... All that to say, we don't really have a problem with storing extra sheets, since we don't even have an extra set for everyone's beds! We have to wash them and put them right back on....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura you should demonstrate this on you tube. I'd be proud to post it!!

    Bets- I'm impressed! I have two sets for all our beds because sometimes if there's laundry that needs to be done, I like to ignore it for a few days...just to show it who's boss!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do it something like that too. Not that perfectly, but close enough to stack the very very few extra sheets I have. Her way is probably a little easier than how I do it (I have to drape it on my couch) so I'll try this one!

    And Ang, even tho I have a linen closet, my kids sheets just get tossed in the top of their closets, b/c there's not room in the closet what with the towels, tablecloths, tissues, TP, vaccuum cleaner, extra tealight candles, iron and everything else I shove in there!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing such great information.
    It has help me in finding out more detail aboutfitted bed sheets india

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from you, but please forgive me if I don't get back to you right away, It's most likely I have a child climbing up my butt.