Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wall art Wednesday!

Today I'm unveiling a new "theme day!" Yes, you guess it, Wall Art Wednesday!

Making something to hang on my walls is literally something I do every week. You should see my craft space (it's not really a room, it's more like an area.) It looks like Martha Stewart's cracked out sister exploded in my laundry room. It really is quite terrible! But that, my friends, is for another day.

So on to what I made this week.

This Wall Art Wednesday I'd like to show you my new gallery wall. It's not really a gallery style wall, but I didn't know what else to call it...wall display? Ugg. I don't even know!

Anyway, I started with none other than toilet paper roll art! If you haven't tried this yet, you don't know what you're missing! I like to use the left-over tubes because they make really awesome and very easy geometric designs! The possibilities are endless.

In this week's project, I used very thin slivers of the rolls (no more than a 1/2 an inch) to make a very thin flower design.


Then I created a pattern, by laying them out on the table before gluing the design together. When I was settled with the design, I glued faux pearls into the center of each flower.



I'm using a hefty circle frame to display the art, so my design, which sets on a piece of scrapbook paper cut to size, needs to be trimmed to fit the circle frame. Centering the design on the paper, I then cut the extra cardboard from the edges.

Next, I mounted the design into the frame. When using a frame make sure it's deep enough to fit the cardboard's thickness. You can also build your own shadow box frame using this tutorial.


I'm not finished yet! I wanted to continue my "circle motif" with hand painted plates circling around the framed picture.

Plate spray painted white 
Design painted with acrylic paint

Plate spray painted white 
Design drawn with a black Sharpie

Plate spray painted white 
Design painted with acrylic paint

Plate spray painted white 
Design painted with acrylic paint
Each plate was originally a decorative Norman Rockwell wall plate. I spray painted each plate with white gloss finish spray paint. Sorry Norman! Using scrap paper and fabric as inspiration, I hand-painted the designs on each plate.

Finished wall.

39 comments:

  1. These are all beautiful,I especially like the idea of using the sharpie pen,that is brilliant!
    connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I work for an archives department and am a big Rockwell fan--but your designs are beautiful and easy to recreate. I might have to do this!

    Samantha - Mus(eum)ings
    http://museuminternmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely! Can't believe its made out of card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial! Love it, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea. Can you email me at
    jblackmon45@bellsouth.net and let me know what type glue was used. Was it hot glue? thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your art! Any ideas on what other kinds of plates could used for this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Norman, indeed!!!!!!! Argggghhhhhh! Now, I envisioned one could go to thrift store and pick up some plates whose shape, design was appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I am very new to blog land, and I am striving to follow proper etiquette when I feature those I admire. I featured you on my blog: http://fabulousified.blogspot.com/2012/01/toilet-paper-vase-art.html

    Be sure to grab my button if you would be so kind as to add me to your featured page. Thank you for being a wonderful source of inspiration!


    <3 from my blog to yours,
    Ansley @ Fabulousified.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just in case you haven’t seen it yet, Stopping by to let you know you’ve been featured at
    http://diycraftstomake.blogspot.com/2012/03/40-fun-toilet-paper-roll-craft-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ideas! I like to use toliet paper or paper towel rolls for gift wrapping! Just stick the gift in the roll and then wrap, tie both ends with ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love how you framed this! Beautiful! Feel free to link it up to my Toilet Paper Roll Challenge: http://ecoscrapbook.blogspot.com/2012/04/calling-all-crafters-link-up-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this and made my own version of it. Thanks for the tutorial! http://www.onecreativehousewife.com/2012/06/tp-flower-wall-art.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are these safe to eat on?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really Beautiful. thanks for sharing!!!! add more of your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is cleaver idea, fantastic blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I'm new to this whole blog thing but I stumbled upon one of your pictures on pinterest and would really love to use one of your images on my blog post. It's featured here : www.shainarenae.blogspot.com under the Addicted to Pinterest post. I've provided the link back this page. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, these are really lovely pieces of wall art! The center piece, with the use of toilet paper rolls, is really fantastic especially that it was made from recycled materials. The painted plates are also amazing and these definitely add more life to the overall wall design. Great job! Thank you for sharing these ideas because this will absolutely inspire several readers to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is amazing! I loved how you innovate it into a wall art. Very creative indeed. This is awesome and perfect for the kids! We did a toilet paper roll snake project out of the same materials you used. You should check it out! :) EarlyLearning.Momtusted.com: Toilet Paper Roll Snake Project

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love your pretty tastes . thank you

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice! you are sharing such helpful and easy to understandable blog in decoration. i have no words for say i just say thanks because it is helpful for me. krishna decors Dwarka

    ReplyDelete
  21. Informative post. Thanks a lot for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved it, I’m using it for my personal blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you must watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Get your ex CRAWLING back to you...?

    ReplyDelete
  24. بازاریابی دیجیتال

    خدمات بازاریابی و تبلیغات دیجیتال اسپاتنا

    تبلیغات در گوگل

    تبلیغات در گوگل با بهترین تعرفه ممکن و پشتیبانی ویژه توسط پارتنر رسمی گوگل

    بهینه سازی وب سایت

    سئو و بهینه سازی وب سایت با بهترین قیمت ممکن به صورت تضمینی

    SEO , SEM , Google Adwords , Digital Marketing

    ReplyDelete
  25. در جستجوی بلیط لحظه آخر هستید؟
    جای درست آمده اید
    www.stkt.ir
    سایت بلیط لحظه آخری، رزرو پرواز با صدها هواپیما از شرکت های هواپیمایی مختلف، به مقصد سراسر کشور و مقاصد مهم جهان را ارائه می دهد.
    آیا در جستجوی پرواز داخلی کوتاه مدت یا سفرهای بین قاره ای و طولانی مدت هستید؟
    سایت ما در مقایسه با سایت های دیگر بهترین قیمت بلیط ارزان را ارائه می دهد
    جستجوی آنلاین، خرید و صدور آنلاین از طریق پروازهای ارزان قیمت و ارائه دهندگان سنتی، فرایند رزرو
    آسان و صدور آنی و فوری بلیط لحظه آخری، بلیط هواپیما را بسرعت به دست شما می رساند.
    ماموریت سایت بلیط لحظه آخری:
    ما قصد داریم که یک شرکت مسافرمحور و الهام بخش، متعهد به غنی سازی و دلپذیر نمودن مسافرت مسافران باشیم ارائه خدمات سریع در هر زمان که نیاز به آن است دیگر هدف ما است.
    ارزش های سایت بلیط لحظه آخر
    ارزش های ما منعکس کننده نگرش ما نسبت به زندگی است و نشان می دهد که چه کسی ما هستیم و چگونه کار می کنیم.
    ما امیدواریم اهداف ما پایدار، قابل اعتماد و متمایز هستند

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from you, but please forgive me if I don't get back to you right away, It's most likely I have a child climbing up my butt.