Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Chestnuts roasting on an cardboard fire...

Have you ever seen these little cardboard fireplaces people put up at Christmas?
Well, I hadn't either until a few weeks ago when my neighbor expressed a love for them.

If you know me, I have two weaknesses (more if you ask my husband) One is that I think- NO, I know, that I can make anything. Arrogant? Yes. But only in that respect!! I think negatively about everything else about myself and you can take that to the bank!

My second weakness is I'm a sucker when I hear that you want something rare and handmade. I will move heaven and Earth to make it for you. That is how this whole fireplace came about. My neighbor, as mentioned above, told me a few weeks ago that  her uncle had one of these cardboard fireplaces when she was a little girl and that she always wanted one just like it.

You see, I can't hear that and not want to make that dream come true. I also couldn't just buy one online. I mean really, that would be like the cake boss sending little Debi cupcakes to his kids school birthday celebration. NO, this one had to be lovingly hand-crafted by me. So when my daughter's bunk-bed arrived in super big boxes, I set to work right away crafting a hand-painted cardboard fireplace.

It was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be. I just mentally high-fived myself!




DomesticallySpeaking ”lil

12 comments:

  1. Oh my. We had one of those cardboard fireplaces when I was growing up because we did not have a real fireplace. It had a light bulb behind the cardboard flame and a little plastic disc that fit over the light bulb. As the light bulb warmed up, the plastic disc would spin creating a "flicker" of red and orange. Your fireplace is awsome. GREAT JOB!!!! It looks much more authentic than the original one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks a million times better than anything you could buy. awesome! -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I'm so glad to know someone with "weaknesses" like yours! Keep doing what you're doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. super cute, and totally not cheesy! score!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...Yours is so much better than the bought version...How lucky is your neighbor :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have a how to make it somewhere?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from you, but please forgive me if I don't get back to you right away, It's most likely I have a child climbing up my butt.