Gosh, I'm such a Debbie Downer today!! I better just leave you with your meal planner!!
(Not that easy, but worth it!)
Prep Time: 30 min Total Time: 1 hr 20 min Serves 6
For the potatoes
- $2.00- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes
- 75¢- 1 poblano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and minced
- 35¢- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 42¢- 4 tablespoons butter
- 60¢- 1 Spanish onion, sliced
- 2¢- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8¢- tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 89¢- 1 jalapeno, seeds and stem discarded, minced (optional)
- 15¢- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic (roast a few cloves yourself)
- $2.50- 1 cup Manchego cheese, grated (Fiesta Cheese works well)
- $1.00- 1 cup cabbage, finely shredded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black paper to taste
For the taco shells
- $1.99- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- canola oil, for frying
- Total: $10.75
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the potatoes in a roasting pan in the oven for 1 hour, until tender when pierced with a knife (during the last 20 minutes, throw olive oil-drenched garlic in the pan to roast.) Cool until they are manageable, then peel them, discarding the skins.
- Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a medium skillet and set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for about a minute. Add the sugar and the vinegar and continue to sauté for about 4 minutes, until the onions begin to caramelize and are completely soft.
- Add the jalapeño and continue to sauté 1 more minute. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to a sauté pan and sauté the cabbage until it wilts, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mash the potatoes with the roasted garlic and remaining butter. While the potatoes are still hot, stir in the cheese, onion, poblano and the cabbage. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour enough oil in a 10-inch sauté pan to a little more than cover the bottom of the pan. Get the oil hot over a medium-high heat. When it is hot place a tortilla shell in the pan and let it crisp for about 5 seconds.
- With a tongs flip the tortilla over to cook the other side (about 5 more seconds). This softens the shells just enough.
- Now with the tongs flip it over again, bend the tortilla into a taco shape and hold for 7 seconds. When it is crisp turn it over to crisp the other side for about 7 seconds.
- Place a generous amount of potato filling in each tortilla and serve with your favorite salsa.
Prep Time: 30 min Total Time: 1 hr 5 min Serves: 6
- 93¢- 1/3 cups Olive Oil
- 0¢- 1 to 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 47¢- 1 Tablespoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 75¢- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 85¢- 2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 60¢- 6 Tablespoons Hot Sauce
- $2.40- 10 whole Medium Potatoes, Cut Into 1/2-inch Cubes (I Leave The Skin On)
- $7.50- 1.5 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, Cut Into 1/2-inch Cubes
- $2.50- 2 cups Fiesta Blend Cheese Or A Mix Of Cheddar & Monterey Jack
- $1.00- 1 cup Diced Green Onion
- $3.99- 1 cup Cooked And Crumbled Bacon
- Total: $20.99
- Preheat oven to 500 F. This is not a typo, 500 F is correct! Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick baking spray and set it aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and hot sauce. Add the cubed potatoes and stir to coat.
- Carefully scoop the potatoes into the prepared baking dish, leaving behind as much of the olive oil/hot sauce mix as possible. Bake the potatoes for 45-50 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes, until cooked through and crispy and browned on the outside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the cubed chicken to the bowl with the leftover olive oil/hot sauce mix and stir to coat. Put it into the refrigerator to marinate until the potatoes are ready.
- Once the potatoes are fully cooked, remove them from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 400 F. Top the cooked potatoes with the raw marinated chicken.
- In a bowl mix together the cheese, bacon and green onion and top the raw chicken with the cheese mix. Return the casserole to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the topping is bubbly delicious.
- Serve with extra hot sauce and/or ranch dressing.
Active Time: 1 hr 40 mins Serves: 8-10
- 12¢- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- $2.00- 1 (1 1/2- to 2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 0- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 0- 1/2 cup water
- 10¢- 3 amaretti cookies, crumbled
- 42¢- 1/4 cup butter
- 6¢- 1/4 cup flour
- $1.12- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- $3.49- 3/4 cup (lightly packed) fresh basil leaves
- 0- Pinch of nutmeg
- $1.65- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- $2.75- 2 1/2 cups shredded whole milk mozarella cheese
- $2.00- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Total: $13.71
- Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the squash and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the water into the skillet, then cover and simmer over medium heat until the squash is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly, then transfer the squash to a food processor. Add the amaretti cookies and blend until smooth. Season the squash puree to taste with more salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the nutmeg. Cool slightly. Transfer half of the sauce to a blender. Add the basil and blend until smooth. Return the basil sauce to the sauce in the pan and stir to blend. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Spread 3/4 cup of the sauce over the prepared baking dish. Spread one third of the squash puree over 3 lasagna noodles. Arrange noodles, puree side up, atop the sauce (the noodles will expand as they bake). Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Drizzle 1/2 cup of sauce over the noodles. Repeat layering 3 more times.
- Tightly cover the baking dish with foil and bake the lasagna for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheeses over the lasagna. Continue baking uncovered until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, 15 minutes longer. Let the lasagna stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Prep Time: 35 min Total Time: 10 min Serves: 4-5
- $1.79- 2 cups Whole Wheat Pasta , Such As Rigatoni
- 35¢- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 99¢- 1 whole Small Red Onion, Diced
- 60¢- 1 whole Zucchini, Chopped
- $1.00- 2 ears Fresh Corn, Cut From The Cob
- $3.49- 1 cup Grape Or Cherry Tomatoes
- 0- 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 0- 1/2 teaspoons Pepper
- 42¢- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- $2.50- 2 cups Italian blend cheese
- Fresh Parsley, For Garnish
- Total: $11.14
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Prepare water for pasta and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add pasta to cook. Drain when finished.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a large oven-safe skillet oven medium-low heat. Add in olive oil, then add in onions, zucchini, corn and tomatoes with salt and pepper, stirring to coat. Cook for 10-15 minutes, tossing occasionally, while softened.
- While pasta and vegetables are cooking, heat a small saucepan oven medium heat. Add in butter and whisk constantly, stirring until bubbly and brown bits appear on the bottom, about 5-6 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Turn off heat under vegetables and add in pasta. Drizzle in brown butter and add in Parmesan, stirring well to coat. Top with Provolone, then place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes, just until cheese is melted. Remove and serve immediately, garnishing with parsley and extra cheese if desired.
Prep Time: 5 mins Total Time: 40 mins Serves: 6
- 80¢- 3 cups cooked brown rice (1 cup uncooked rice)
- $3.99- 12 oz. boca crumbles (looks like brown beef, but it's not!)
- 89¢- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- $1.00- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 60¢- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 15¢- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- $2.78- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) cans petite diced tomatoes
- $1.50- 1 3/4 cups tomato sauce (I used Francesco Rinaldi Sweet and Tasty Tomato)
- $1.09- 2 cups reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 0- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 0- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Total: $12.80
- In a large pot or dutch oven, brown ground meat on high heat and season with salt. Drain fat if any, reduce heat to medium-low, then add peppers, onions and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes on low heat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, marjoram and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Serve about 1 1/3 cups of soup in each bowl and top with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice.
Prep Time: 45 min Total Time: 45 min Serves: 4
- $1.00- 1 1/4 cups long-grain brown rice
- 20¢- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- $3.99- 1 pound snow peas, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 15¢- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 32¢- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated and peeled
- 9¢- 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 20¢- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 16¢- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 50¢- 2 large egg whites
- 0- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- $4.99- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10¢- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
- Total: $11.70
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water until smooth. Add snow peas, garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, and red-pepper flakes; toss to combine, and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg whites, remaining 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, and toss to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Lift half the chicken from egg-white mixture (shaking off excess), and add to skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining oil and chicken, and set aside (reserve skillet).
- Add snow-pea mixture to skillet. Cover; cook until snow peas are tender and sauce has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Return chicken to skillet (with any juices); toss to coat. Serve with rice.
Grand Total: $81.09